This Healthy Beef Stew recipe is so easy to make and a wholesome meal to enjoy during the cold winter months. A one-pot meal that’s hearty, flavourful and loaded with tender beef chunks and carrots. Cooked in a rich and savoury sauce, this beef stew recipe is comfort food at its best.
Carrots are loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants which are a must have during the winter for boosting immunity. Beef is an excellent source of protein and contains a variety of essential nutrients, including Vitamin B12, zinc and iron.
This healthy beef stew is high in protein at 28g per serving, low carb, dairy free and meal prep friendly, making it a great option for batch cooking.
Looking for a meat-free option? Replace the beef with plant-based alternatives like tofu, beans, and/or lentils and substitute the beef stock with vegetable stock.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
• ¼ cup (30g) plain flour
• ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
• 1 lb. (450g) beef chuck, or similar stewing beef, trimmed and cubed
• 2 tbsp. olive oil
• 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
• 1 cup (240ml) red wine
• 3 cups (700ml) beef stock
• 1 onion, peeled and chopped
• 5 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
• 2 tsp. salt
Bouquet garni (secured in cheesecloth or spice bag):
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 sprigs thyme
• 1 sprigs rosemary
• 6 juniper berries
• 3 whole cloves
1. Combine the flour and black pepper in a bowl. Add in the cubes of beef and toss in the flour to coat.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and brown the beef on all sides. Do this in two batches if necessary as overcrowding the pan stops the beef from browning properly.
3. Add in the vinegar and red wine and cook over a medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Next add the beef stock and bouquet garni. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover the pan and cook for about 1 ½ hours, until the beef is tender.
4. Add the onions and carrots and simmer, covered, for another 30 minutes adding more beef stock if it is starting to look too dry.
5. Once the carrots are tender, remove the bouquet garni, and season the stew with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: If the stew looks too watery, remove the beef from the pan, and blend part of the stew with a hand blender until you have reached the desired consistency.
Serving suggestion: potatoes, rice, bread
Per serving equals:
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try. For more simple and delicious soup and stew recipes recipes, grab a copy of the Healthy Soups and Stews Recipe eBook.
If you want to lose weight without dieting, book your free consultation with me today.